100 Parisians fasteners per box.
Brass plated steel body for better protection against rust.
Made in Italy.
In the 1860s, the young American lawyer and inventor George W. McGill (1842-1907) made it his speciality to file patents for the manufacture of small metal objects for fastening paper: Parisian fasteners, staplers, spring clips and bent wire clips.
In 1866, at the age of 24, McGill obtained a patent for a type of metal paper fastener that has remained popular ever since: the Parisian fastener. But McGill soon found another specialty: suing all other manufacturers of metal paper fasteners. He went so far as to go round the office supply shops to declare, to anyone who would listen, that he was indeed the one and only inventor of the Parisian fastener… But, as luck would have it, a few years later his own patents were invalidated by a judge, who ruled that they were merely pale copies of a patent filed in 1864 by an English inventor named Herbert Hart.
The Dell’Era family, makers of the Parisian fasteners we present here, have been working with metal to create all sorts of small metal objects for over six generations. When, in 1850, he founded the company that has borne his name for over a century and a half, Giuseppe dell’Era showed incredible intuition. Even then, he used the hydraulic power of the small river Gerenzone, which flows at the foot of his workshop, to operate it.
He transforms the raw material into long wires or metal strips, which he and his small team of craftsmen then process into various haberdashery and stationery items, their speciality. 170 years later, the success of their paper clips, brads, tacks and other metal accessories has not waned, and although Dell’Era is still a confidential brand outside of Italy, it is part of the collective imagination of the peninsula, where the small green boxes of its famous paper clips are well known.
According to this chronology, the company was among the first to produce Parisian fasteners in Europe at the end of the 19th century.
The Dell’Era workshops are located at a short distance from those of our scissor makers, in a region naturally rich in steel, and where mining activity has been very present throughout history. Located at the foot of the Alps, a stone’s throw from Lake Como, Annone di Brianza, the small town of 2,300 inhabitants that houses this historic company, perpetuates the historical know-how of this region where ironworking dates back to the 13th century.